Patient Rights & Responsibilities
As a state licensed outpatient surgery center and in accordance with State and Federal regulations, the Southington Surgery Center ensures that all patients are properly informed about the following information prior to their scheduled surgical procedure.
Patients have the right to:
- Considerate, dignified, and respectful care in a safe, comfortable environment.
- Personal privacy and confidentiality.
- Be free from all forms of abuse or harassment.
- Know the names of the health care providers furnishing care to you and their role in your care.
- Treatment by compassionate, skilled, qualified health professionals.
- Be informed about and participate in your care and treatment planning.
- Make informed decisions.
- Timely information regarding Center policy that may limit its ability to implement a legally valid advance directive.
- Refuse treatment as allowed by law.
- Be free from discrimination or reprisal.
- Evaluation, service and/or referral as indicated by the urgency of the case.
- To be transferred to another healthcare facility when medically necessary with explanation concerning this need, its risks and alternatives, as well as acceptance by the receiving institution in advance of such transfer.
- Consent or decline to participate in proposed research studies or human experimentation affecting care or treatment.
- Review and obtain copies of your medical records.
- Receive treatment in an environment that is sensitive to your beliefs, values and culture.
- Be informed about the care you will need after discharge.
- The right to know your physician may have ownership in the Center.
- The right to file a verbal and/or written grievance as outlined in the Grievance Policy.
Patients have the responsibility to:
- Give us complete and accurate information about your medical history, including all prescription and non‑prescription medications you are taking.
- Tell us what you need. If you do not understand your care plan, ask questions.
- Be part of your care.
- To arrange for a responsible adult to provide transportation home and to remain with you for 24 hours after your procedure.
- To follow up on your doctor’s instruction, take medication when prescribed, to make and keep follow-up appointments as directed, and ask questions concerning your own health care as necessary.
- To fully participate in decisions involving your own health care and to accept the consequences of these decisions if complications occur.
- If you are not satisfied with your care, please tell us how we can improve.
- Be respectful and considerate of the rights of other patients, families, and Center personnel.
- Give us any insurance information we need to help get your bill paid and fulfill financial obligations to the Center. Any verification of benefits has been provided as a courtesy to you. This is not a guarantee of payment. Insurance benefits can sometimes be quoted incorrectly. We strongly recommend that you contact your health plan to verify your insurance information and benefits.
The Center will always attempt to resuscitate a patient and transfer that patient to a hospital in the event their condition deteriorates. The Center will make every reasonable attempt to obtain and file in the patient’s medical record copies of the following existing documents:
- Appointment of a Health Care Representative
- Living Will and Health Care Instructions
- Documentation of Anatomical Gift
- Conservator of the Person for My Future Incapacity
If an emergency transfer did occur, all pertinent chart information would be copied and sent with the patient to the hospital, including the patient’s information regarding Advance Directives, if given to the center by the patient on admission.
PHOTOGRAPHS, CELL PHONE USE AND VIDEOTAPING
The facility takes patient privacy seriously. The use of cell phones or the taking of pictures or recording of any patient or staff member in the facility including the waiting area is prohibited. Any patient or visitor that is found taking pictures, or videotaping patients or staff via cell phone or other device will be asked to delete the recording(s) and refrain from further recording/photography/videography.